Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fonts fonts fonts

A little while ago, when I had installed Meego on my netbook, I became
interested in the way my fonts looked. I'd noticed they looked much
nicer on my netbook than they did on my PC running Archlinux. So I
started to investigate.

Thanks to the awesome archwiki I found out fairly easily that certain
settings in your ~/.fonts.conf file is all it takes. So I put some
settings in there and I was happy.

A few days ago, while browsing the web, I stumbled across a setting
that at first I thought was strange to use. Since what I'd understood
from the archwiki was that the higher the hintstyle, the prettier the
fonts, so I used hintfull, but this page said that hintslight was
nicer, so I tried it and, wow, it was.

Then came frustration, though, because emacs didn't want to play
along.

So I started lookin into it, I found out that target="pattern" should
be used in the <match> tag instead of target="font", unfortunately
this didn't help.

After a long time of looking around I finally found it, for it to work
in emacs I also needed to put these settings in my ~/.Xresources or
~/.Xdefaults, and then xrdb -merge <whichever file use chose>

Have a look here:
https://gist.github.com/1024512

There still seems to be a 1px difference, but I like the look of both
now, so I'm happy.

Or lets see what this does:

.Xdefaults
!xft settings
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight

.fonts.conf
<match target="pattern">
  <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
    <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>

  <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
    <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>

  <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
    <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>

  <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
    <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>

  <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
    <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
</match>

No comments:

Post a Comment