Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hard work headache

Anyway, back to regular business. I haven't posted in a while, but a few days back I got the idea that I should start again since I like trying it anyway.


I've just completed some very big changes at work. They have meant many a long night of work and very little sleep.
I'm very lucky to still be so young that I can stand going to bed around 3 a.m. and waking up at 8 a.m. and still work at about 90% thinking capacity. Though the longer I try to keep it up the lower that gets of course.

I never used to work this much (or hard) at my old job and I've been thinking about why this might be.

I think most likely it has to do with the facts that I'm the only one working on the project and thus completely free to make my own decisions, It's not written in .Net and it's actually challenging instead of mostly boring (though if I ever got the chance to move it all to python+django I would do it in a second), I can use my favorite tools, no Visual Studio and windows VMs; emacs, grep, git, (arch)linux all the way, and the fact that I'm actually working with the people at work instead of working through all kinds of proxies.
Also, switching from a tiny (5 person) company to a small (30+?) company in this case meant 99% less office politics for me.
It's nice to feel appreciated, and that I do here.